LADEW TOPIARY GARDENS AND MANOR HOUSE
Ladew Topiary Gardens were established in the 1930’s by huntsman Harvey S. Ladew (1887-1976), who in 1929 had bought a 250 acre farm to build his estate. The grounds contain 15 garden rooms, each devoted to a single color, plant or theme. The garden is particularly noted for its topiary, which was strongly influenced by Ladew’s extensive travel in England. Ladew designed topiaries depicting a fox hunt with horses, riders, dogs and fox clearing a hedge, a Chinese junk with sails, swans, and a giraffe, among others. The Garden Club of America has described it as “the most outstanding topiary garden in America”. Come visit and see why Architectural Digest named Ladew Gardens one of the 10 incredible topiary gardens around the world. The grounds also contain a 1.5-mile nature walk.
The manor house, built in stages from the 18th century into the 20th, contains a particularly notable oval library, once named “one of the hundred most beautiful rooms in America.” Both the grounds and the house, which contains a beautiful collection of antique English furniture, opened to the public in 1971. Lunch will be in the Ladew Café, located in the former stables.
Cost includes transportation, entrance fees, lunch, snacks and gratuities.
559 – $114
8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Bus leaves Cheltenham High School promptly at 8 a.m.